Friday, May 16, 2008

The joys of being a single woman............

Did you know that there are a whole stack of people out there that have serious issues? I only know this as I am a single woman who is out there and I am mixing with the strange population of weird, whacky and seriously deranged misfits.

My dinner from the other night is only a small example of what I encounter when I go out. There have been many an encounter like that one. It is only now that I realise the joy that they behold for the blogging world.

I have tried the online version of dating - that is something again. The online version has many a person who 'sells' their best features (I like romantic walks, I am fun and adventurous etc) complete with spelling errors (I love "meating" people. That's great honey but don't meat me!) and totally avoids anything that might just be a chink in their armour. When you meet these people they suddenly explode all of their idiosyncrasies all at once.

It's a minefield avoiding exes baggage, hate for all who are of the opposite gender to themselves, or who have serious commitment issues. There is many a man out there who believe that if you have interacted via an email or two, had a text and, if you are particularly lucky, a phone call then you're up for a quick bonk once you meet in person. I have often walked away from a 'date' with one of these electronic males and I am scratching my head at the guts the men have when they suggest a quickie.

There is also the fun of discovering the fact that the picture they had on the Internet has nothing to do with the actual representation of the physical. Sometimes there is a 10 year difference!

To try and avoid some of the issues that there are with Internet dating I joined a social group. I had every intention of just going out occasionally and eating dinner, seeing movies, going on walks etc with people that I have never really got to meet before. After the dinner the other night I have come to the conclusion the 'normal' people don't turn up that often to social outings. I think they do but are scared away by the odd-bods that are there.

I think I get along with many people who are just plain weird but my patience is running low, in fact it might be running on empty. I am a school teacher and I deal with strange people everyday - and that's before I get to the kids! I hate going out and having to deal with oddies. I also think there are some straight out RUDE people out there who don't realise that double dipping is NOT an option. Then there is the issue of being unable to read the fact that you might be chatting to someone else and what they have to say is more important and feel it necessary to interrupt you!

I mentioned this to my mother and she asked me why I still go to the social group. Good question - I know that I could do better but there is not much more than that out there. Pubs and clubs are ok if there are people that you can go with but when you are in your late 30's and all your friends are matching and hatching then you look like a desperado.......

I am thinking of all of this as I prepare to 'host' (organising the venue NOT MY PLACE!) dinner and movies tonight with the odd bods. There might be a dazzler amongst them but they might get hijacked by a kooky woman and I might struggle to connect. Wish me luck! - I will
let you know how I get on!

6 comments:

Vanessa said...

Have you ever checked out Quirkyalone.net? I know they have groups in Australia. Also, maybe they have meetup.com near you?

widget said...

Thanks Vanessa,

Just checked out Quirkyalone.net I am laughing very hard. After completing a quiz I discovered that I fit into the quirky together crowd. It's always good to know BUT I am pleased there are more like me out there.

At meetup.com I have discovered a few things that interest me in Melbourne. It looks great! I will get onto that this weekend!

Anonymous said...

I think you need to re-read one of your sentences and change the syntax. (OF COURSE these electronic males will think you're up for a quickie if you're letting them scratch your head on the first date.......)

See what I mean?

Anonymous said...

You make me laugh. I like frogdancers comment too. It's good to laugh about these sad facts of life.

widget said...

Thanks Joh.

Oh Frogdancer - it's a good thing that you will be teaching me English and life skills in class. I might be able to get out of a date without too many hassles.d I realise where I go wrong now - no more scratching of my head until I know them........

widget said...

I have changed the post Frogdancer. I have added somethig in italicised purple....... Hope that is better.