Saturday, February 23, 2008

My interview for the Great Interview Experiment

Yay - I got my questions from The Great Interview Experiement. Vanessa interviewed me amongst all the things going on in her life (good luck with it all!) I like her blog as well as there are some interesting random ramblings (sounds somewhat similar). Go and have a read of her blog- the haircut looks good too....

Here is MY inteview (by the way the questions are great)

You started your blog about the same time I did, do you have any big plans for the future of your blog?

At this stage I don’t have any big plans for my blog. My aim is quite simply write well and write often. I came into this via a friend who was writing and I thought it looked like fun. I now have a little bit of her bug with blogging. I don’t read as fast as she does so I read a few here and there and love what I find.

I also wanted to practice writing as I have always felt it was something I could do well but have never really had an outlet to practice on. There is something about typing that gives me freedom – pen and paper I struggle with. I love it when I get a comment along the lines of “the paragraph you wrote about. . . . .was quite realistic/sensitive/descriptive.” It means that I am able to connect with people.

What do you like best about your job? Is it your dream job?

I think I have one of the best jobs in the world. I have realised that I am given the privilege of watching young teenagers develop into adulthood. It is such an honour. The kids make many mistakes and that makes my job hysterical but there are times when you witness the most amazing moment when they realise they are someone.

This was never going to be my vocation. I decided that I was going to be lawyer but there were a few issues with this. I didn’t study in my final years at high school and didn’t make it into law at uni. (SOOOOOOOO far off the required marks but I had a great time being social!)

I never wanted to be a teacher when I was at school – that was what EVERYONE in my family did. I wanted to be something different. I stumbled around in my Bachelor of Education course, went on teaching rounds and then eventually got a job teaching in another state. Despite this first experience being one of the most awful things I had ever done there was something still calling to me. It was not until my fourth year (and third school) that I realised that I was having fun and I was good at it.

Is it my dream job? Not entirely. My dream job would involve performance, people and warm weather. I wouldn’t have to do it because I needed the money. I would do it because I loved doing it.

Do you have any plans to vacation outside of Australia?

Yes! I have already been to Bali, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia and the Cook Islands.

I will eventually get to Europe (more Austria, Germany type countries), North America (Alaska intrigues me), South America (all that dancing and music), Africa (again the dancing and music) and a lot of Islands in the Pacific.

What has been the best vacation you have ever taken?

I have a few answers – family holidays at a Beach side town Airey’s Inlet. But from a purely learning experience – both Malaysia and the Cook Islands. The cultures of both destinations was amazing and the company was fantastic.

How do you balance the anonymity of the blog with writing about your life?

It is hard. There are times when I desperately want to write something along the lines of “Today at work this idiot (insert name). . . .” but I feel this would be too easy to do and not provide me with the experience of writing about something without naming anybody (including me). I have only mentioned one or two names in my blog since I started and I am proud of the fact that my writing is developing.

You mentioned an exercise plan. Have you been able to stick with it? What modifications have you made? Please inspire us!

Exercise plan. I do exercise but it has become very haphazard. The plan was the thing, the action is much, much, much harder. I can run now without puffing too much (before I could only walk moderately fast) and my strength has improved greatly. Lately I have had to have another look at my diet as I put on a bit of weight over Christmas/New Year holidays. It is unfortunate that I love chocolate, other sweets, savoury snacks AND alcohol. All of these foods/drink love me more and want to stay around for a long time (months even!)

The only thing I can say to inspire people is do something small, do it often, allow it to become a habit, then add to it. Remember that humans are allowed to make mistakes but it is getting back into the healthy habit again that is the difference.


You have some unruly neighbours it sounds like. Has it gotten better? Are you still thinking about moving?

I realised this morning that I haven’t given people the update on the neighbours. They are still there but I don’t hear them as much. I am not sure if this is to do with the fact that I have gotten used to them, the 7 foot fence blocks the sound, they are quieter or I am not going to let them get to me.

Whatever the reason I am happier BUT I am thinking of moving. I am saving, saving, saving to purchase my own property. I think I will continually need to save as Melbourne is the most expensive city to buy in at the moment…….then there is the whole issue of rates rising in response to our economy and the banks needing to sort out their finances due to the low doc roles in USA.

Do you have any pets? Or wish to have pets?

Yes. I have a cat. A black cat named ‘Precious’. I got her 5 years or so ago when Lord of the Rings came out. She has a great big bald spot in the middle of her back. (I have no idea why.) I got her from the RSPCA and she would only respond to a name ending with “ous” and I was not going to stand at the back door calling “pus pus”. Gollum entertained me especially when he said “my precious”.

What are some of your favorite blogs to read?

Dancing with frogs as the writer is one of my closest friends and her writing amuses me.
123Iloveyou as the writer makes me laugh. He inspires me as he is anonymous.
Nancy has recently become a favourite as I interviewed her and she writes about music/musicians.

What are you most thankful for in your life?

Two things.

My family. I don’t tell them enough. Each member of my family has provided me with inspiration and grounding. I am the youngest of a large family and they have taught me heaps.

My closest friends. They provide me with an ear, a shoulder and a helping hand. I love them.

Thank you to these two groups of special people.

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

YAY! I'm so glad we got this accomplished. Your answers are great, and I enjoy your blog as well.

Anonymous said...

I love your description of the privelage of teaching and I wholeheartedly agree, it is funny and rewarding. I didn't intend to be a teacher either and I'm not sure I will be one forever, yet right now, I love what I do.