Tuesday, February 12, 2008

the boys will sing!

Today was an interesting day. I took the choir for the first time. This choir is going to be massive if all the kids who are meant to be there actually turn up! Over 80! Yikes! I am going to need to have some sort of relaxation sessions before I begin each week and plenty of them afterwards!

I have decided that the best thing to do is go in SUPER prepared and then get the boys singing very loudly! Well....that is the definite idea.

There is one major thing that I have to overcome. The "I don't like singing and I don't want to sing in a choir" statement from teenagers.

I think I have my work cut out for me.

The boys trudged in and looked at me with a begrudging respect. Hmmm. I got all the girls and boys up singing. It was a powerful sound which suddenly died away as they realised that they were all creating that sound themselves.

A bit of encouragement (more for me than them) and we started again.

We started with "Hallelujah I love her so". This starts with a big sound from the boys. They sang and were really good. Yay me!

By the end of the rehearsal we had got through 1/2 of 2 songs and we were in three part harmony. It was fun but I was exhausted.

To think that I had to follow that with teaching my normal class of year 8s. In fact I think that this class think that I am completely bonkers. I have frogdancer's second son in this clas as well as the principal's daughter and another teachers daughter. Talk about sending out message that you are infact nuts. Some of these parents might think that I am indeed trying TOO hard if the kids relate how nuts period 5 was today.

Tomorrow is swimming sports day and we have dress up themes for each of our sports days. Disney is the theme for tomorrow. I am going as Baloo from Jungle Book as I have a bear costume at home. It is a little concerning that I can just pull out a bear costume.....I think I should be able to actually look something like this. I will let you know how I get on. Don't worry I won't be swinging any children around as this might just get me into very serious trouble and I might lose my licence to teach and I actually love what I do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to ask Jordan what actually went on in class today....