Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Only 19......

I am finding that I have much more energy - although I am not doing much with the energy, since I started talking to the psychologist.

I returned to work this week and it has been good to get some basic idea of a routine sorted out. I have decided to leave work each day at 4.30, although today I failed dismally as I was talking to people that I care deeply about. Tomorrow is the day that I will start that plan.

Yesterday was a particularly hard day in my return to work. We were informed that one of the students from my 2009 year 12 class died over the weekend from natural causes.

He was at his girlfriend's house and got up, then collapsed. She was the only one there and tried to revive him but couldn't. He was/is 19. She - 18.

They believe it to be a heart attack - but an autopsy will have to be conducted.

I can only imagine the turmoil the parents of this beautiful young man must be going through. His younger brothers must think that they are living a nightmare. I know that when my father died when I was 12 I kept thinking that one day I would wake up and it would all just be a dream and my father would walk in the door. He never did, and I found myself in a spin most of the time.

I am blown away by such a tragedy. I don't know what to think, let alone do. This young man had a zest for life that was inspiring. 19 is way too young. I am angry, I am sad and I am numb from this news.

This is what I have learnt:

Hug your kids.
Hug your parents.
Enjoy life.
Be thankful for every day that you have.

No comments: