Monday, February 9, 2009

OMG #2

They think the number of deaths will rise above 200. 131 so far. FUCK!

My friends are ok. I am relieved.

One friend described the scene as horrific. He spent Saturday spotting his house. The fire was within 1km. The wind swirled around him as the ashes and embers dropped from above. He kept an eye on the weather yesterday but it was calmer as the heat had died down but the wind was from the other direction.

Today he went to work at his hospital where they had to take in the bodies of the local deaths as the morgues are too full. He is emotionally whacked. I am just pleased that he is here.

I found out that my cousin lost his house but he is here.

Now I am hearing the call that "if you can see flames, it is too late to leave."

I am numb.

I am crying at the sheer cruelty of what is happening to my beautiful state.

Both the state Premier and the country's Prime Minister are here and are emotionally smacked by this. Many pictures of them crying and hugging people who have nothing left.

They are treating this as if it were a terrorist attack. 30 Disaster Identification Officers are here from interstate to deal with the growing number of bodies. The army has been brought in to bulldoze, clean up and supply food, bedding and some shelter.

It was reported that many hospitals are running out of morphine for the burn victims and they have doctors who worked with those from the Bali bombings.

Arson is suspected. Arseholes! Complete and utter fuckwits.

If you see someone flicking a lit cigarette but report them!

75 Government schools shut today.

Remember to hug those you love.

Here is how much is affected. (link to Google map)

4 comments:

Vanessa said...

I am so sorry you are witnessing such tragedy. I've been thinking about you, hoping you and all your loved ones are safe. I've lived in areas with wildfire and it's merciless. Please stay alert, safe and as sane as possible. I love you and you are in my thoughts.

River said...

Just heard on our evening news program that Adealaide has sent eight truckloads of donated stuff to Victoria and there is much more still being sorted and packaged to be sent. It's heartwarming to see everyone pitching in this way.

Sondra said...

What a horrible tragedy. How devastating it must be for everyone. It is hard to believe that someone could intentionally start that fire. I can imagine that anger felt over that. I tried to click your link to the google map but could not see it. I found this one at foxnews.com
http://mp3.news.com.au/hwt/Victoria_fire/
That is just incredible how much area the fire has consumed. Unbelievable! Just unbelievable.

Anonymous said...

This is quite overwhelming. It's hard for me to know that people need help, and I can't do much to help. I had no idea this was going on, as I tend to avoid the news, but now that I know, my thoughts are with you and your loved ones. I hope you stay safe. To think that someone intentionally caused even part of this is so very disturbing.